CMC's Technical Snow CLimbing class so much fun. It was a great experience. Here’s what I learned in the class-
1. Working with ropes- coiling, managing and caring for the rope.
2. Knots- Figure 8, Figure 8 retrace, Alpine butterfly, clove hitch, girth hitch, kiwi coil, prussic hitch and double fisherman.
3. How to use helmets, harness, carabiners, belay device and ice axe
4. Walking in group with ropes- How to walk in line with ropes.
a. How to divide the rope in equal parts
b. How to lead while placing the anchors
c. How to be a middle guy and walk over the anchors without wasting much time and switch carabiners over the anchor
d. How to be the end guy and keep taking out the anchors and managing them on your harness
5. Different types of anchors and building them-
a. Vertical ice axe
b. Vertical snow picket
c. Deadman (picket, ice axe, water bottle, a snickers bar)
d. Snow bollard
e. Multi piece anchor
a. Belaying the leader